Income Inequality

family bills

Washington state has one of the fastest-growing economies in the country. Yet far too many people are not sharing in economic growth. Income inequality in Washington is growing rapidly and is higher now than before the recession. Today, the wealthiest 1 percent of Washingtonians rake in nearly 22 times more than the other 99 percent.

Our state economy will thrive when everyone can share in economic growth. We can build a strong and thriving middle class. To do it, we need to provide a solid economic foundation of opportunity for all our residents regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, or zip code. To help promote income equality, we must clean up our tax code, advance racial equity, and build a state budget that ensures opportunity for all.


Related research:

Document Actions
HIGHLIGHTS

Our Seattle Policy Summit

You can watch our Budget Matters 2017 Seattle Policy Summit, which took place on December 6, online. The first part of the day (watch here) featured Washington State Lt. Governor Cyrus Habib and Race Forward President Glenn Harris. The second part of the day (watch here) featured Budget & Policy Center Senior Policy Analyst Jennifer Tran, and a panel of local leaders moderated by Michael Brown of the Seattle Foundation. 

Our Policy Priorities

Washington state should be a place where all our residents have strong communities, great schools, and the chance for a bright future. Our 2017-2019 Legislative Agenda outlines the priorities we are working to advance to build a better Washington.

Testimonies in Olympia

Misha TVW
We'll be in Olympia throughout the 2018 legislative session to testify in support of bills that advance our legislative priorities. Stay tuned for links to the testimonies of our policy analysts (as featured on TVW).