Washington state’s investments should:
- Provide opportunity for all. Opportunities that most Washingtonians need to prosper—access to high-quality education, health care, transportation, clean environment, and work supports—are cost-effective and improve long-term outcomes for families, communities, and the economy.
- Create better jobs. A thriving middle class is dependent on having enough jobs that allow Washingtonians to get ahead, and policies that reward workers for their productivity. In addition, jobs that maintain our physical infrastructure (construction and maintenance on schools, roads, bridges, transportation) and build knowledge and skills (teachers, job trainers, social workers) strengthen the foundation of a strong economy.
When more people have a chance to reach their full potential and enough economic security to make investments in their future, our economy will grow.
- Governor offers Realistic, Responsible Approach to State Budget (blog)
- Session Wrap-Up: 2014 Supplemental Budget Avoids Elephant in the Room (blog)
- Four Important Budget Realities for the 2014 Legislative Session and Beyond (brief)