Jobs and Internships
We are hiring for a Development Manager!
We are seeking an energetic and highly-organized Development Manager to implement our development plan. This is a key role in helping to grow the organization. The successful candidate will be analytical and creative, collaborate well with a passionate and fun staff, and coordinate and manage multiple projects. The Budget & Policy Center is more than your average think tank; we are a small and dynamic organization with a big vision for creating a prosperous Washington state.
Central to this role is developing and executing our annual appeal, growing the list of individual donors, and supporting the executive director’s engagement of major donors, including some event planning. The development manager will also coordinate grant proposals and reports and solicit sponsorships for the annual conference.
The Washington State Budget & Policy Center is a research organization that is dedicated to increasing prosperity for all Washingtonians. In addition to research and policy analysis, the Budget & Policy Center’s comprehensive activities include strategic communications and targeted outreach. Over the past eight years, the Budget & Policy Center has developed the reputation for being the source for reliable, non-partisan analysis on budget and tax issues.
We are a collaborative work environment where we work hard, have fun, and support each other.
The Development Manager will support our fundraising efforts by:
- Implementing and managing development activities for annual givers who give under $1,000. Includes designing and implementing strategies such as appeals (both direct mail and online), electronic communications, cultivation, and stewardship of individuals.
- Managing all aspects of our donor database (Salesforce) and online communications platform (Vertical Response) from sending out bulk emails to processing gifts from those appeals.
- Coordinating grants by creating and tracking annual grants calendar, and working with other staff charged with drafting grants to revise and finalize proposals and reports.
- Advising revenue budgeting based on previous giving trends and stretch goals for the future.
- Supporting major individual donor giving efforts by scheduling meetings, identifying prospects from annual donors, and helping to move individuals up the donor ladder.
- Assisting in the development of events, briefings, and other donor cultivation activities.
- Solicit sponsorships for the annual conference.
The position reports to the executive director. Three to five years of development experience required.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Deeply committed to the Center’s goals of justice and prosperity for all Washingtonians.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to work with and enjoy a wide range of people.
- Persistent, doesn’t let things slip through the cracks, and continually follows up with donors, staff, and organizational partners in an effective way.
- An analyst at heart – you are comfortable pulling data and identifying donors who can move up the donor ladder based on giving history.
- Highly organized to be able to handle scheduling tasks, supporting small and large events, and coordinating the annual fund plan with multiple staff.
- Flexible, resilient, handles stressful situations well in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
The Budget & Policy Center hopes that this person will eventually grow into a position of major gifts cultivation and more overall leadership for the development activities of the organization.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position. The salary range is $50,000 - $55,000 depending on qualifications and experience. The Budget & Policy Center offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and dental insurance, life and long term disability insurance, retirement, flexible spending accounts and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Position is open until filled but candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To apply, submit a resume, a 1-2 page cover letter specifically addressing your interest in and qualifications for this position, a relevant writing sample, and a list of four current references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Budget & Policy Center is committed to fostering diversity within our organization and our communities and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Budget & Policy Center is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to insure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.