Working for a brighter future
The Washington State Budget & Policy Center is a trusted leader in advancing policy change to ensure our state and economy are strong.
We have led or been a part of many successes in our state, including:
- Supporting the economic well-being of Washington’s kids and families:
In 2020, legislators funded a Child Savings Account program study to explore establishing Child Savings Accounts at birth for every child born in Washington. They also took steps to reverse harmful cuts to WorkFirst/Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) so more families are able to access this critical lifeline when they fall on hard times.
- Securing important investments in education, affordable housing, and mental health services:
In 2019, legislators enacted new revenue by making the real estate excise tax more progressive, closing outdated tax breaks, and increasing business and occupation tax rates for some large companies. These important tax reforms resulted in almost $1 billion in much-needed investments to strengthen all our communities.
- Ensuring fewer kids go to school hungry:
In 2018, we helped make the case to fund Breakfast after the Bell, a program that provides breakfast to students with low incomes so they can show up to class ready to learn.
- Preventing an unnecessary tax break for big manufacturers:
In 2017, we called for Governor Jay Inslee to veto a corporate giveaway that would have siphoned money out of our communities.
- Increasing wages and providing paid leave for thousands of hardworking people:
In 2016, voters passed an initiative to raise the statewide minimum wage to $13.50 and provide sick and safe leave – so workers can make a better living and protect their well-being and that of their families.
- Protecting revenue that serves the public good. We have been at the frontlines of efforts over the past decade to stop Tim Eyman’s harmful anti-revenue ballot initiatives.
To learn more about our impact, see our coverage in the media and take a look at our 2018-2022 strategic planning framework. This framework lays out the strategies and tactics we’re using to achieve major public policy changes in order to build a better Washington state. And check out “Inspiring Growth: Our Impact in 2018.”
Learn how you can help us promote our policy priorities.